Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

Havoc Pennington wrote:
Rich Burridge wrote:
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
I am not saying we shouldn't take good ideas etc., from Apple, but lets
try to remember that Apple is basically a failure in the desktop market.

What were you smoking when you wrote this?

Well, it depends on your "success metric" when talking about "failure"

Thanks for the good summary.

I was talking about things like:

* look and feel. It's a beautiful desktop.
* ease of use. Most things "just work".
* integration of different desktop components.

I'm not talking about market share.

I've seen GNOME steadily improve over the last few years, but it still
doesn't have a cohesive wholeness to it. One of the problems in this
respect is that different distros customize GNOME as they see fit. You
can't always assume what's going to be there (or if it will be the same
place in the menu hierarchy).

It's like the different flavours of UNIX and Linux all over again.

Perhaps there needs to be a concise definition of what you can always
expect in a GNOME desktop and where it will be. Maybe that's exactly
what Core GNOME desktop is all about.