Re: GnomeClient replacement?

On mer, 2006-07-19 at 03:28 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> * distros are all crap at getting their bugs upstream, pretty much.
> (Some are slightly better than others, at various times.)

I though we were doing a pretty good job at forwarding Ubuntu bugs
upstream, but apparently it looks like you don't appreciate the efforts,
makes me wonder if we should bother keeping doing that then

> So... stack traces going to distros instead of bugzilla ~= nigh-unusable GNOME.

There you assume than distros don't send back useful informations
upstream and than distros are doing no QA. What we are trying to do with
bugs about the Ubuntu desktop is to get something useful before
forwarding them upstream. I would have no issue to just dump hundred of
useless bugs and non-debug backtraces upstream and stop trying getting
details for them if you think that would be better

> complete stack trace data. But in the current situation (distros don't
> have the tools to create the better stack traces, and don't have the

Luis, have you read the Ubuntu spec pointed by Ben? A part of it is
about getting better backtraces, Martin Pitt already did some good work
on it and it's likely we will get automatic debug backtraces when
something crash for Ubuntu edgy

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher