Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

From an embedded developers standpoint working with Gnome as a part of
the Gnome Mobile and Embedded group, C and C++ are extremely relevant
for our devices.  Mono like .NET are quite frankly a no go in terms of
memory and performance.

Sean

On 7/13/06, Ben Maurer <bmaurer andrew cmu edu> wrote:
Hi

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Steve Frécinaux wrote:

> Iain * wrote:
>
> I'm not really against having C# apps in the core (in fact I don't
> really mind), what I'm more frightening about is having applications
> that run all the time, using managed languages, and, as a consequence,
> taking up a fairly large amount of memory, from the computer start to
> the shutdown.
>
> Think about it: having an application you run a short time do not really
> impact on your available memory, so it's not a real issue on
> "low-memory" system (like mine: 224 Megs are not much memory these
> days), but long-running ones do.

Please read my previous emails. Designing everything in C will not help.
Evolution, OpenOffice and Firefox are evidence that writing your app in C
does not make it memory efficient. In the long term, a moving GC may be
beneficial.

At some point, we also have to realize that users with less memory do need
to make compermises. For example, such a user might want to choose not to
use Beagle.

-- Ben