Re: GnomeClient replacement?

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:36:28AM +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Well, the other thing that the gnome_program_init provides (as I
> > understand it) is the bug-buddy hooks. However, IMHO, this is more of a
> > distro thing. Ubuntu's solution
> > (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomatedProblemReports) seems to be better here,
> > as distro specific stuff can make great efforts to get symbols, etc.
> >
> > -- Ben
>
> gnome_program_init also loads the accessibility support, calling gconf
> in the process.  It's not clear to me that this could conveniently be
> put elsewhere without complicating the dependencies of other modules...

Another thing which needs to be done there is for example setting up the
URI handler for GtkLinkButton.  There'll always be some things which
need to be initialized in a way depending on the platform.  As for the
URI handler, the handler will differ on UNIX, Win32, OS X, etc.

During GUADEC Matthias and I talked about maybe having support for
some kind of "runtime modules" with one for each backend/platform.  The
module would contain a function that initializes stuff specific to that
platform and GTK+ will run that during initialization.  Just like what
happens with the file system modules right now, we could ship a
default simple module for GTK+-only apps on Linux and have some other
GNOME package provide a GNOME "runtime module", which initializes a11y,
sets the bugzilla hooks, etc.

Just some thoughts, no real concrete ideas ...

regards,

-kris.