Re: Migration Paths for New Modules

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 19:52, Shaun McCance wrote:
(my comments on assistive technology gconf keys removed)
> Yikes, all right.  We should definitely keep the exec_ats key
> for legacy.  I suppose the Assistive Technology Preferences
> dialog should continue to set the old values, if possible,
> to keep older machines functioning the same.

I'm not sure it's important to keep back-compatibility if the user
re-runs the config dialog.  It might be better to use that opportunity
to offer to switch the user over.

IMO the question is whether we want to post a dialog the first time an
AT user logs in to a new Gnome desktop, offering to migrate her/him.

While your combo-box suggestion is interesting and allows the user
maximum choice, it may be better just to change horses at this stage.
Of course users who want to stay with gnopernicus should be able to do
so without too much interference, but otherwise perhaps we should keep
the interface simple.  If we do choose some sort of combo (and some
.desktop file convention as you suggest), perhaps one of the combo
entries should be "Other...", "<i>custom</i>", etc. and trigger a simple
file chooser for picking an alternate.

Should we take this to some other list for discussion?

regards,

Bill