Re: What about Embedded?

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
Hi;

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 00:10 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

the tools we want, the Mono maintainers care about GNOME and as an added
bonus we get to market GNOME to all the college students who are
currently being trained with .NET in mind.
All too true - its why we need volunteers to beef up D's offering. We do have GTK bindings though (http://dui.sourceforge.net/)

Those bindings, and forgive my bluntness, suck in a way that it's hard
to describe; the API is horrible (four ways to add a callback to a
"clicked" event? come on, give me a break) and the rationale for some of
their choices is risible ("uttons are there to pass on user events not
executing actions"? key bindings and composite widgets anyone?).  They
still need a lot of work just to be *half* as good as any of the other
bindings of the platform libraries.  I concede that, in time and with
enough manpower and when D will have reached a critical mass of users, D
should become a tool for developing GNOME applications.  But now it's
really too early even to plan upon it.

Yeah things could be better but if it is all sorted out we would have the best development framework on any platform.

Ideally it needs paid developers to turn it into a really cool platform (maybe a gnome company can sponsor it?)

If I have the time I will help out of course.

Topaz in D - now that would rock!

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/