Re: Tomboy in Desktop

l�2 07 2006 kl. 12:08 +0100, skrev Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro:
> S� 2006-07-22 �00:10 +0200, David Nielsen escreveu:
> > l�2 07 2006 kl. 02:33 +1000, skrev Jeff Waugh:
> > > <quote who="Jeff Waugh">

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Here's my point of view, completely independent from the fact that Tomboy is
> > > built with Gtk#/Mono. Here it is in point form, because I seem to be doing
> > > pretty well with it:
> > >
> > >  * Without a doubt, Tomboy is pure awesome.
> >
> > No argument from me, Tomboy is nothing short of life changing.. praise
> > Alex!
>
>   I disagree.  Tomboy is nice, but it tries to do too much.

It does what it has to do to provide useful functionality.

>   Tomboy looks like a hybrid (or should I say mutant) wiki page system
> and mind mapping software.  Well, for a Wiki system I'd rather use a
> real web based one (I hate writing wikis in these tiny windows).  For
> mind mapping, I'd rather use a real mind mapping software; alas, we
> don't have a good gtk2 mind mapper, but freemind is pretty good.  For
> simply taking notes, sticky notes is more than enough.

Tomboy is a little like a useful wiki (don't ever ask me to type in real
wikis, I hate them) with a sane interface on your desktop, we could even
do a plugin to export wiki code and publish it with say a xml-rpc
interface. But for bringing some of the useful nature of a wiki with an
interface that's more like what I'm used to, Tomboy is brilliant.

Tomboy isn't a mindmapping tools, I guess you could use it like one but
I would frankly rather have a real seperate mindmap application, maybe
something where I could branch out freely and make mapped items links to
a Tomboy note. This would allow for a quick visual overview and
revealing more details by opening up the specific subset of thoughts.
The idea needs more fleshing out, maybe it could be done as a plugin to
Tomboy, although it feels like tying a few cats together to make a
horse.

>   Sticky notes applet is awesome in its simplicity; let's not remove it,
> please.

Sticky Notes tends to get cluttered up for note taking while project
managing, it's an all or nothing interface whereas Tomboy allows me to
show only related notes. I normally prefer having only the set of
post-it notes I care about displayed rather than having my screen
covered in yellow goodness.

- David Nielsen