Re: Tomboy in Desktop

man, 24 07 2006 kl. 12:51 +0100, skrev Calum Benson:
> On 22 Jul 2006, at 12:50, David Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Sticky Notes tends to get cluttered up for note taking while project
> > managing, it's an all or nothing interface whereas Tomboy allows me to
> > show only related notes. I normally prefer having only the set of
> > post-it notes I care about displayed rather than having my screen
> > covered in yellow goodness.
>
> This seems to be about the most frequent gripe with the Sticky Notes
> applet, to be honest... perhaps we should re-start this thread with
> "assuming we're going to fix sticky notes to let you show/hide notes
> individually or in groups, do we want Tomboy in the desktop"? :)

Yes, the wiki-like interlinking between notes, spell checking,
searching, drag and drop support for referencing mail and other nice
features in Tomboy makes it a superior product.

Comparing Sticky Notes with Tomboy in that way is like saying that the
Wright brothers airplane is basically the functional equivalent of a
modern fully staffed Airbus.

Tomboy also promises added functionality in the much talked about plugin
system, exporting to a wiki (I know the Ubuntu people are talking about
some kind of p2p wiki system that might tie into Tomboy) and I could
imagine extending Tomboy in other manners to say give a visual overview
of notes by headline to give it a kind of mind map functionality.

Sticky Notes is a mere electronic version of the beloved post-it note,
Tomboy is an evolution of the post-it note adding in functionality to it
that can only be done by taking advantage of the computer. It's the
difference between forcing a known paradigm on the computer and allowing
the expansion of a brilliant idea using the computer.

No distros actually expose the sticky note application as far as I'm
aware, and was it not for Alex' choice of language we wouldn't be
talking about this anymore than when we replaced gpdf with evince. It is
a better application, an evolution of functionality and in my personal
experience even those who heartily against Mono love it based on what it
adds to their daily work flow.

Is this about our love for our users or party politics?

Do I need to beg, because if it comes to it I'm willing to beg - I think
Tomboy is excellent, I think it will benefit our users and if anyone
doesn't like the language aspect of the implementation, they would be
most welcome and encouraged to sit down and rewrite it in assembler for
all I care, if that turns out a better application then we can replace
Tomboy with it at a future date.

- David Nielsen