Re: Baobab

Hi Jeff;

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 04:23 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Emmanuele Bassi">
>
> > Anyway, we are really going off track - and I don't want another mono-like
> > thread.  If the release team decides that baobab does not fit with
> > gnome-utils and the core desktop packages, I'll remove it starting from
> > the next release.
>
> (Additionally, it's not up to the release team to make a decision about this
> or tell a maintainer what to do - but I would suggest taking feedback like
> this from other community members seriously.)

I do take them seriously.  I am at my most serious, actually.

I also take into account what other users said: that Baobab is a nice
addition to the gnome-utils package and that it has made their
experience with the GNOME desktop better by providing a tool that
avoided them using the terminal.

I have weighted your concerns, as well as the others, and I questioned
my choice of adding baobab before starting with the merge; the idea of
adding it to gnome-utils started at the end of the last release cycle -
it's not something that I planned and executed in two days.

I totally understand your point: Baobab is a little too
technology-oriented and less user-centred than the GNOME standard; maybe
it's even a little bit too young, or it requires a bit more knowledge of
the computer than I'd like; but it can improve - and on these grounds I
added it to gnome-utils, and the addition itself already brought in
improvements in terms of coherency, documentation and interoperability.
Maybe, when nautilus will register the folders the user's opened last
we'll be able to use Baobab to track a list of habitual space hoggers,
and show them first; or maybe we'll find a new way to interact with
nautilus and HAL, and have it track the disk usage, making it a more
kick-ass tool.

I am willing to bet on the possibilities that Baobab offers, as much as
you are willing to bet on the possibilities of the
${UBUNTU_COMMUNITY_MEMBER_PROJECT} that you mentioned (and of which I
didn't know anything, otherwise I would have tracked that too, as I did
with other tools similar to Baobab before choosing it for integration).

That is why I'm also willing to put the final decision on the release
team: I don't want to be a block, by stubbornness or by ignorance, so I
step aside and let who is in charge of the release to decide.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com