What up, java bindings?

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 17:05 -0600, in a thread originally about
"Proposal to add Orca to GNOME 2.16", Elijah Newren wrote:

> [5] Along those lines, ...
> It's similar to the missing gtk2-perl and gtk-java issue, which I also
> don't know quite how to solve.

Oh? What's up?

More to the point, what do you need us to do? Not that we have  large
team, but I'll do my best.

++

As an OT aside: our libraries are called

glib-java,
cairo-java,
libgtk-java,
libgnome-java,
libglade-java, and
libgconf-java

being our release set at the moment, with

libvte-java, and
libeds-java

joining this cycle. They're all on ftp.gnome.org.

Quite the grab bag, with most following the libBLAH-java pattern, which
was I believe at the request of the GNOME release team of the day when
they multiplexed the previously straight forward "java-gtk" and
"java-gnome" into the above mess. Before my time.

A number have people have pointed out that naming like glade-java, along
the lines of what the Mono boys and girls used (glade-sharp) would be
nice. I agree, but at this point, given that the distros all adjusted
their packages about 18 months ago when java-gnome shattered into its
constituent pieces, that changing the naming pattern would be a large
and painful change without that much benefit.

[Not that I needed the scars to reinforce the obvious, but I was doing
the Gentoo ebuilds then and it was quite a pain to shuffle and create
that many new packages. I am quite conscious of the cost of change
especially when it comes to package naming, etc. Given the enormous
hassle it is to prepare up 6 headed for 8+ libraries every time we cut a
java-gnome release, I'm not in a rush to add to my problems.]

So, libBLAH-java it is... unless, as a part of a GNOME wide cleanup, we
adopt a common naming scheme for bindings packages. If that's the case,
then I'm sure the powers that be can align the stars to get package
names changed in every distro simultaneously. Yup.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Technology strategy, managing change, establishing procedures,
and executing successful upgrades to mission critical business
infrastructure.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London