Re: Desktop as Nautilus

On 15 Mar 2006, at 12:52, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

On Mar 15, 2006, at 11:58 AM, Calum Benson wrote:

On 15 Mar 2006, at 09:55, Mike Douglas wrote:

The trash applet was a great step forward for usability

I'd somewhat dispute that, personally... no matter where on my panels I put the darn thing, nine times out of ten, it couldn't be further away from the thing I'm trying to delete if it tried, and dragging things that far is a royal pain. (That doesn't make it any worse than the desktop trashcan, certainly... just not notably better IMHO.)

If it's in the bottom right corner of the screen (as it is in Ubuntu's default setup, for example), it's several thousand pixels wide and several thousand pixels high, making it the easiest thing to drag to in the whole of Gnome.

Except when, like me, you want panel hide arrows turned on :)

If you can't easily drag from one side of the screen to the other, there's something wrong with your mouse acceleration settings.

Not "wrong", I just haven't found any settings to my taste that allow me to do it. I've always hated anything that significantly speeds up my pointer the further I move it, so I prefer to stick with as near a linear correlation as I can get away with... which, with a big monitor and not much desk space, usually means a couple of movements to traverse the desktop.

(I just press Ctrl+T or Delete to trash files anyway, so I should add that it's not a big deal whether any sort of Trash icon or applet works well for me... except that if it doesn't, it probably doesn't work well for some other percentage of our users either, who may or may not want to use it any more than I do.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team