Re: [bug-buddy]: Custom scripts for your application

Olav:

Perhaps a decision about how it should work should be made and
documented so people understand how it is intended to work?

How what should work? Bug-Buddy or the bug-buddy info in the .desktop
files?

Information about how data is collected, what rules are used to ensure
the "right" information is collected, how it can be configured, and what
efforts are taken to ensure that the user's privacy is respected should
all be documented, I think.

I'd think it would be nice to completely turn off this feature if the
user doesn't want data collected on their machine to be forwarded
externally.

Maybe, I'm not sure. I'd rather have some design thing that prevents the
script from including too much information. The developer should be
strongly encouraged not to collect too much 'crap'.

Why not just add a GConf preference to bug-buddy so that users can
simply turn off this feature if they don't want it to be on.  Perhaps
the first time data is forwarded a pop-up can be displayed asking the
user if they want this feature on or off.  This would be most
respectful to the user's possible privacy concerns, I'd think.

The added information should be so vital that bugsquad would mark the
bugreport 'NEEDINFO' without it. Meaning that if a user doesn't want to
report that information with the bugreport, the bugreport is useless
(and so I do not want an incomplete one -- meaning some option).

I'd say that if a user "turns off" this feature, that this also turns
off bug-buddy completely so bug reports are not sent at all.

It is probably a good idea to notify the user (without a dialog box)
that more information was collected than usually.

How would you notify the user without a dialog?

Brian