Re: [bug-buddy]: Custom scripts for your application

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 01:15:26PM -0600, Brian Cameron wrote:
> >>Perhaps a decision about how it should work should be made and
> >>documented so people understand how it is intended to work?
> >
> >How what should work? Bug-Buddy or the bug-buddy info in the .desktop
> >files?
>
> Information about how data is collected, what rules are used to ensure
> the "right" information is collected, how it can be configured, and what
> efforts are taken to ensure that the user's privacy is respected should
> all be documented, I think.

So info for the paranoia user? Well, it is going to a public bugtracker.
This probably should be made clearer so that user can just
cancel/disable the entire bug-buddy.

> >>I'd think it would be nice to completely turn off this feature if the
> >>user doesn't want data collected on their machine to be forwarded
> >>externally.
> >
> >Maybe, I'm not sure. I'd rather have some design thing that prevents the
> >script from including too much information. The developer should be
> >strongly encouraged not to collect too much 'crap'.
>
> Why not just add a GConf preference to bug-buddy so that users can
> simply turn off this feature if they don't want it to be on.  Perhaps
> the first time data is forwarded a pop-up can be displayed asking the
> user if they want this feature on or off.  This would be most
> respectful to the user's possible privacy concerns, I'd think.

I do not like pop-ups / dialog / etc when the program just starts up.
I'd rather ask when the user presses Cancel. This can of course be done.

If this would be added, I'd rather have it because of possible
annoyances (e.g. stress the 'I do not care about bugreporting' rather
than making the user believe there is a privacy concern). The users who
care about privacy will IMO be informed enough with the existing text.

> >The added information should be so vital that bugsquad would mark the
> >bugreport 'NEEDINFO' without it. Meaning that if a user doesn't want to
> >report that information with the bugreport, the bugreport is useless
> >(and so I do not want an incomplete one -- meaning some option).
>
> I'd say that if a user "turns off" this feature, that this also turns
> off bug-buddy completely so bug reports are not sent at all.

I usually think a user should de-install Bug-Buddy completely. But maybe
this is handy when the user is not root.

> >It is probably a good idea to notify the user (without a dialog box)
> >that more information was collected than usually.
>
> How would you notify the user without a dialog?

In the existing window. The data is first collected then the user is
able to see the collected data + fill in email address + steps to
reproduce. I think that is a good location.

--
Regards,
Olav