Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Paolo Maggi wrote:
Hi Jamie,

I would like to propose this for inclusion into Gnome 2.18 as its now
been well tested and should be stable enough.
Tracker is being developed by a growing community of volunteers to create the best and most efficient desktop search,

How is it related to beagle?

it only overlaps on the indexing front - everything else is different though as far as I can tell

Which are the pro and cons of using it as a desktop search solution with
respect to beagle or other existing solution (if any)?

I cant comment too much on Beagle cause the last version I tried almost a year ago was unusable on my 256mb machine.

I can highlight tracker's strengths though :

1) Low memory usage. If started with option --enable-low-memory we can peg memory usage to between 3-6MB. Without that option its typically twice that but with much faster indexing.

2) High speed indexing with the --turbo option

3) High speed search - average under 20ms

+ whole load of stuff that tracker can do that beagle cant (while it remains a dedicated indexer that is) -extensible metadata which can be mixed and match with full text search so you can easily search for everything with a full text search of "Penguin" against a tag "zoo". We do this effortlessly with our powerful rdf query support.

You can even define indexable metadata that will show up in full text searches.

extensible metadata server and next generation first class object database all in
100% C code.

This is nice. We really need a central metadata server in GNOME (many
apps are using in-house solutions to store metadata, see nautilus,
gedit, evince, etc.)

Tracker now comes with a new GUI tool - Tracker search tool which is based on the source of Gnome search tool and if accepted it should replace this.

It seems beagle have a nice GUI for searching, would it be easy/possible
to copy/port this GUI using Tracker as backend (maybe implementing
libbeagle-like API on Tracker)?

Not really as we are quite different.

There are some things in common which should be abstracted though but because a lot of python stuff is using tracker via dbus we would ideally need beagle to implement a shared dbus interface which Im more than jappy to cooperate with (mono now has some good dbus bindings so this should be doable)

Tracker can also be run as a standalone metadata database by passing the --disable-indexing option to it so if you want to use beagle you can without overlapping.

A screenshot of tracker's initial GUI :

http://www.gnome.org/~jamiemcc/tracker/tracker-search-tool.png

In future versions we will expose tags, extensible metadata and allow mixing of metadata and full text searches.

Which are the data sources and file formats supported by Tracker?

all the major files types and their metadata is supported (images, docs, music etc)

Is it easy to extends Tracker to add support for new data sources and
file formats? Where can we find more info about how to extend Tracker?

fairly - full text filters are simply shell scripts and metadata extractors can be easily added (to the tracker-extract program)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/