Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

On 10/24/06, Don Scorgie <DonScorgie blueyonder co uk> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 00:07 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Jamie McCracken">
> >
> >> t-s-t uses the same code as g-s-t so it inherits the working code. Its a
> >> better search tool because it can show search snippets like google as well
> >> as providing high speed search.
> >
> > And it does so by using... Tracker? Which means you're not just proposing
> > t-s-t, but the Tracker indexer and database? You really need to start being
> > clear now.
>
> yes we are proposing the lot - sorry for any confusion there

One question (sorry for my ignorance): Does the replacement of g-s-t by
t-s-t mean that in order to search files, the tracker deamon needs to be
running?

Also, I presume this means that only indexed files can be located?
What if I have file types that tracker doesn't know/care about?  Do I
have to resort to using command line tools for a simple search based
on filename/date/etc?

Sandy