Re: getting on a longer release cycled

2006/9/8, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>:
On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 19:51 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to suggest at one point to try to break with the 6 month release
> > schedule of Gnome to do a "major" release with a certain number of feature
> > that would involve possible infrastructure changes in the platform.
> >
> > There have been a large pimping of project Topaz, and I strongly believe that
> > this is the kind of goal that would need a longer development cycle for a big
> > leap forward towards world domination.
> >
> > Why not thinking for after 2.18 starting on a 12 to 18 month release cycle. We
> > must have a FIRM date (eventually flexible), but more importantly a FIRM
> > features goal (eventually adapted to not become a Death March).
> >
> > What do people think?
> >

> I think its worth experimenting with a longer release cycle but I would
> start at 9 months and see if that improves things before considering a
> 12 month or 18 month cycle.
>
> I dont know how topaz will transpire but I feel it should be written in
> a native high level language like D or Vala as its likely to be a
> rewrite of much of the existing code and could be doable in 9 months
> with a more productive language.

if we rewrite "much of the existing code", I think we would need much more than 9 months :-)

And if anyone is serious about rewriting said amounts of code in high
level languages, I would imagine they are welcome to do so outside the
release cycle.

In fact, (in my personal opinion) any rewrite has no businnes to be in
ANY release until it

a) exists as a drop-in replacement (where possible)
b) has been moderately tested and approved by the active community
c) doesn't mean that half of the now-working stuff suddenly won't work

As always, there is little point on carrying on lengthy conversations
about fabled rewrites of this and that to the [insert favour here]
language. Just go and write it, let's see how it'll work out!

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi