Re: Showing gnome-keyring passwords in Seahorse [was: Proposal for Seahorse inclusion in GNOME 2.18]

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 23:40 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
> Nate Nielsen wrote:
> > Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> >> As an outsider I'm wondering: would a merge with gnome-keyring itself
> >> instead of building on top of it be a good idea?
> >
> > The underlying concepts and technologies of gnome-keyring (which really
> > should be 'gnome-password') and encryption keys are extremely different.
> >
> > That said, presenting them to the user in a common UI may be an idea
> > worth pursuing.
>
> I had a discussion today with some users and to them it seemed like a
> perfect idea to show a tab with 'Passwords' in the main seahorse
> 'keyring window'. Said they had wondered why their passwords didn't show up.
>
> I guess as a programmer the concepts of 'encryption keys' and
> 'passwords' are totally different for me, but for people who don't
> understand the intricacies, they fit together well.
>
> The reason I've CC'd Alex is because I can't figure out where to discuss
> changes to gnome-keyring... Any ideas?
>
> In particular I'd like to modify gnome-keyring-daemon so that there is a
> a 'mode' of accessing items without accessing the secrets themselves,
> and therefore not needing one of those nasty 'this application wants to
> access this password' prompts for every single password in the users
> gnome-keyring keyring.
>
> Cheers,
> Nate

There is actually a bug that exists regarding starting a mailing list
for gnome-keyring.  It seems like use of the project is starting to gain
steam, so this might be the time to pull the trigger.  Well I have beat
this topic to death...okay I will stop now.  really.

Jon