Re: Proposal for Seahorse inclusion in GNOME 2.18

Nate Nielsen wrote:
> Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
>> På Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 10:04:09PM +0000, Nate Nielsen skrev:
>>> Key Manager
>>>   * gnome-keyring integration for GnuPG and OpenSSH
>> As an outsider I'm wondering: would a merge with gnome-keyring itself
>> instead of building on top of it be a good idea?
>
> The underlying concepts and technologies of gnome-keyring (which really
> should be 'gnome-password') and encryption keys are extremely different.
>
> That said, presenting them to the user in a common UI may be an idea
> worth pursuing.

I had a discussion today with some users and to them it seemed like a
perfect idea to show a tab with 'Passwords' in the main seahorse
'keyring window'. Said they had wondered why their passwords didn't show up.

I guess as a programmer the concepts of 'encryption keys' and
'passwords' are totally different for me, but for people who don't
understand the intricacies, they fit together well.

The reason I've CC'd Alex is because I can't figure out where to discuss
changes to gnome-keyring... Any ideas?

In particular I'd like to modify gnome-keyring-daemon so that there is a
a 'mode' of accessing items without accessing the secrets themselves,
and therefore not needing one of those nasty 'this application wants to
access this password' prompts for every single password in the users
gnome-keyring keyring.

Cheers,
Nate