Re: The future of session management in GNOME

Bastien Nocera wrote:

I know quite a few that do, and I spent a lot of time adding the
feature, and fixing it in Totem. I don't think that removing it would be
a good idea, unless there is a way to recycle that feature into an
application-specific state saving.

What would be wrong from a user standpoint with just having Totem save its window position (either globally or per-movie I don't know) every time I close the app, so anytime I reopen the app it comes back as it was.

Same for gedit - I think I'd like gedit to just remember window state for all documents, per-document. I can't imagine ever "setting up gedit" and then saving my desktop globally though, as XSMP supports.

For totem as music player, I can imagine having it in my default setup on login to play music, but if totem just remembered its position and I added it to autostart, that would be just as good as the XSMP approach.

Havoc