Re: GUnique [Was: gnome-utils branched for GNOME 2.16]

On 9/22/06, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
Uhm? Why not use X for IPC?

*shrug*  I remember that we (Matthias, Vytas, and I) discussed D-Bus,
Bonobo, and Bacon (since there were several Gnome applications using
each of those for their single-instance mechanism) and X (which
Matthias brought up and also since Mozilla/Firefox uses it for its
single-instance mechanism).  However, I no longer recall any details
about this particular choice since I was more interested in the WM
interaction details (surprise, surprise).  It may have been that Vytas
was familiar with D-Bus and Bacon and we figured it was more important
to get other details worked out first, but I just don't remember.

However, Vytas did design GUnique to make the backend easy to
transparently replace.