Re: dropping bug-buddy reports for old version of gnome automatically

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 04:01:14PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 08 avril 2007 à 14:20 +0200, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 05:13:04PM +0200, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> > > As far as I am concerned I'd like to drop any reports from 2.16 and
> > > below, but I see how that may be a little to aggressive. What about
> > > dropping reports from 2.14 and below?
> >
> > If there are no objections, I'll start with dropping bug-buddy reports
> > created with bug-buddy <=2.14 (meaning: GNOME versions before <=2.14)
> > starting Mon 9 April. I'll probably setup an submit bugs gnome org auto
> > responder which tells them to upgrade their GNOME to the latest version
> > available.
>
> Given the length of Redhat, SuSE and Debian release cycles, this will
> just make bug-buddy useless for many stable users. Ideally you could

Honestly, I think that <=2.14 bugreports are useless. Dropping <=2.16
feels way too soon, however, I also want to keep Bugzilla usable (the
incoming bug rate is way too high). Further, as soon as a GNOME is
released as stable, the old one is forgotten about.
Note: we don't receive many <=2.14 bug-buddy bugreports (mostly due to
using sendmail to send it). And it was going to be ceased with the
release of 2.20 anyway.

> detect their distribution and tell them to report the issue directly in
> the distribution's tracking system.

You mean in the auto responder right? I can add a comment that their
should report it to their distribution. I assume people will know what
distribution they use.

> BTW, I'm working on a non-GNOME-dependent replacement to bug-buddy,
> which will report crashes in the Debian BTS instead. In the future, it
> should save you the Debian-related bugs (if we can manage the number of
> bugs...)

Suggest to work together on this. Ubuntu has something which already
works (apport). Fedora wants something similar, etc for other
distributions. Oh, and a warning: without having some system in place to
detect duplicates automatically, you will be overwhelmed.
I do wonder about the 'non-GNOME-dependent' comment though? Does it mean
'GTK+' / 'Qt' or just like apport that it works for every app (kernel
integrated)?

Ideally the major distributions would have something like apport, where
at least most of the code is shared between the distributions. This
should work for every application in the distribution.

It would still need to handle the jhbuild / GARNOME case though.

--
Regards,
Olav