Re: dropping bug-buddy reports for old version of gnome automatically

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 04:19:12PM +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 04:01:14PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > >
> > > If there are no objections, I'll start with dropping bug-buddy reports
> > > created with bug-buddy <=2.14 (meaning: GNOME versions before <=2.14)
> > > starting Mon 9 April. I'll probably setup an submit bugs gnome org auto
> > > responder which tells them to upgrade their GNOME to the latest version
> > > available.
> >
> > Given the length of Redhat, SuSE and Debian release cycles, this will
> > just make bug-buddy useless for many stable users. Ideally you could
>
> Honestly, I think that <=2.14 bugreports are useless. Dropping <=2.16
> feels way too soon, however, I also want to keep Bugzilla usable (the
> incoming bug rate is way too high). Further, as soon as a GNOME is
> released as stable, the old one is forgotten about.
> Note: we don't receive many <=2.14 bug-buddy bugreports (mostly due to
> using sendmail to send it). And it was going to be ceased with the
> release of 2.20 anyway.

Adding some numbers (I mentioned this in
http://blogs.gnome.org/view/ovitters/2007/04/08/0):

Based on server stats over the last week, we:

 * Created 23 GNOME <=2.14 bug-buddy reports. Update: To clarify, the
   <=2.14 bug-buddy programs updated themselves 9603 times (it does that
   when you start it and it wasn't updated for at least 1 day, plus the
   server config changed). Obviously that method of reporting bugs is so
   broken that killing it wouldn't have a big impact.
 * Received 5513 XML-RPC GNOME 2.15 + 2.16 bug-buddy reports. I
   assume 60% are auto-rejected (received!=created).
 * Received 475 XML-RPC bug-buddy report for other GNOME versions
   (sometimes the bug-buddy version couldn't be determined).
 * Created 2405 bugreports in total (over the last 7 days instead of
   last week).

I hope above clarifies why I will kill <=2.14, but want further input on
the other versions.

Note: The blog also has a comment (finally found why my comments weren't
working!:) about very hard to understand XML error messages. Someone
seen that as well?

--
Regards,
Olav