Re: Button highlighting, middle and right buttons don't work in Xaw application on GNOME desktop

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 10:17 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >      1. When I move my mouse over a button, the button is supposed to
> >         highlight by reversing the color of a few rows of pixels inside
> >         the button border.  This doesn't happen.
>
> Does XRN do this, or is it handled automatically by Xaw?

Handled automatically by Xaw.

> Which events
> does it need to do this (I assume just Enter/LeaveNotify)?

Yes, I believe that's it.

> >      2. Several of my buttons have button bindings for the middle and
> >         right mouse button that are different from the left button
> >         binding.  These middle and right button bindings don't work.
>
> Again, if anything were eating those events, it would be Metacity.  Does
> the problem still happen if you keep using a GNOME session but with a
> different window manager?

How do I use a different window manager?

I tried killing metacity, but it just gets restarted by something
automatically.  I tried finding a control panel, preferences panel, etc.
that would allow me to control which window manager I use, and I was
unsuccessful.  I tried using gconftool-2 to
set /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current to /usr/bin/twm,
but this had no effect -- GNOME still starts metacity when I log in.

> Gnome-settings-daemon changes some X resources, but I don't think they
> would affect your mouse bindings.  You may want to grep around the
> sources for gnome-settings-daemon (it lives in the gnome-control-center
> module) to see if it's doing anything weird.

My interest in NetNews is sufficiently low at this point that if I need
to grovel through somebody else's source code to figure out why XRN
isn't working, then I'm probably just going to stop reading news. *sigh*

Thanks,

  jik