Creating SVN repositories

Hi,

I just got pointed to this:  http://live.gnome.org/NewSVNRepos

... and it looks rather bureaucratic.

Back in the days of cvs.gnome.org, anyone with an account (already a
trusted member of the GNOME community) could create a new project on the
CVS server.  People kept little pet projects there; sometimes they
turned into real contributions to GNOME, and sometimes they remained as
little pet projects.  In either case, it was polite of GNOME to let
contributors use our services freely, since they are already feeding
code to the project at large.

Is it possible to remove the step of "ask the sysadmins to create a
repository for you"?  Can we simply give people some guidelines on how
to create the branches/trunk/tags directories?

  Federico