Re: jhbuild and dbus started services

2007-04-26 klockan 08:49 skrev Kjartan Maraas:
> tor, 26.04.2007 kl. 08.30 +0200, skrev Kjartan Maraas:
> > ons, 25.04.2007 kl. 23.11 +0200, skrev Wouter Bolsterlee:

> > > If you built DBUS yourself as well, executing something like this from your
> > > .xinitrc might work:
> > >
> > >   jhbuild run dbus-launch --exit-with-session seahorse-agent gnome-session
> > >
> > > Hope this helps. See [1] for some related information.
> > >
> > Thanks for the suggestion. How does this play along with the suggestion
> > in jhbuild/README that you create a .desktop file containing something
> > similar to the above as the Exec line?
> >
> > I mostly use gdmflexiserver to start a new jhbuild session, and have
> > created the .desktop file like the README suggests to get the menu entry
> > in gdm. Not that it matters much anyway whether I pick it from the menu
> > or edit a dot file since I only pick it the first time I log in to a
> > test account anyway.
> >
> > I just feel that we need to put some of these tips and tricks into the
> > docs somewhere or maybe the wiki.
> >
> I tried this now and still have the same problem:
>
> [jhbuild localhost ~]$ ps axu | grep settings
> kmaraas   2527  0.0  1.0  84408 10480 ?        Sl   Apr25   0:03 /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
> jhbuild   6253  0.7  1.4  50432 14900 ?        Sl   08:32   0:00 /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
>
> [jhbuild localhost ~]$ cat .xinitrc
> jhbuild run dbus-launch --exit-with-session seahorse-agent gnome-session
>
> [jhbuild localhost ~]$ ls -l .xinitrc
> -rwxrwxr-x 1 jhbuild jhbuild 74 2007-04-26 08:30 .xinitrc
>
> I also tried running gdmflexiserver out of the jhbuild prefix to see if
> that had anything to do with this, but that gave the same result.
>
> This has been a problem for some time now. IIRC ever since gnome-session
> was made responsible for starting gnome-settings-daemon via dbus. Maybe
> gnome-session could be enhanced to help get things right in the case of
> non system prefix builds?

I'm using this in my .xinitrc:

  jhbuild run dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session

This results in:

  $ ps aux |grep gnome-settings-daemon |grep -v grep
  uws       2547  0.0  1.4  30872  7572 ?        Sl   00:12   0:04 /opt/gnome-2-18/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon

... so it seems to work correctly here. Note that I'm running gnome-2-18,
not trunk.

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

don't hate me :: i'm not special like you :: i'm so alone  -- porcupine tree