Re: Dogfood servers now up

2007/8/1, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>:

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 16:38 -0700, Sanford Armstrong wrote:
> GNOME is going to have to become a service provider.

as far as I see it, GNOME is already a (small though) service provider
for online storing. That is, we have art.gnome.org for themes/icons, we
have devel.gnome.org for devel docs, svn.gnome.org for code, etc

So, the first thing that comes to my mind with this online desktop idea
is to allow users to send their data to these GNOME servers. That is, a
$gnome_art_designer would add support for uploading themes, users could
write a technical white paper and upload it for other people to look
at/help editing, etc.

I was about to send a mail about it too. :-)

Basically, a new art.gnome.org  web site is going on (AGO3), as a SoC project. If I have some time, I would we've been working on an atom extension for themes on the current a.g.o. web, and I did a small app to consume those feeds[0].

I would love to add support to the control center for this feeds, however, I would like to consolidate the services to do so and think of a good ui for it. The second step is in progress already, but with the first one I'm quite lost, merging several theming sources (gnome-look, art.gnome.org) into one as a mashup and single point would be the ideal solution for this, so users don't need to handle those feeds within applications.

[0] http://aruiz.typepad.com/siliconisland/2007/07/jilorio-gnome-b.html
--
Un saludo,
Alberto Ruiz