Re: org.gnome.Application DBus Interface

Hi

On 8/14/07, Alex Jones <alex weej com> wrote:
> >       <property name="Prgname" type="s" access="read" />
> >       <property name="Version" type="s" access="read" />
> >       <property name="ApplicationName" type="s" access="read" />
> > <?      <property name="CurrentTime" type="s" access="read" /> <!--
> > iso8601 --> ?>
>
> What do these properties represent and how could they be useful?

Prgname: "the name of the program", unlocalized = argv[0]

ApplicationName: "localized if possible, and is intended for display
to the user"
This could be useful if you don't want to lookup an application name
with libwnck.

Version: not in Glib, but available in almost all programs and
autotools programs

This could be used to identify a connection (what DBus offers looks
more limited). So that we could avoid the not so common "Identity"
method in the MPRIS interface you mentionned earlier, for example. And
I am quite sure a bunch of interfaces offers the same kind of basic
identification/versionning facilities.

This is mainly useful for introspecting apps and bringing informations
about running services (though I am convinced the notion of process
should be avoided when talking DBus :)

> > And quit?
> >      <method name="Quit" />
>
> I did originally have a Shutdown method, but I was unable to come up
> with any real use cases for it. If you can think of any I'd quite like
> to hear them!

If you can start an app, let say in a script, what about closing it?
We could still rely on signals, but that is not really well
implemented, right? Of course, if the app run on X, then there is also
different mechanisms. It's just an idea, for completness - but that
might be a bad idea after all.

Those facilites (each method and properties) will not be mandatory
anyway, but if you manage to define a common application interface,
then it would be nice to have them too,no?

Regards,
--
Marc-André Lureau, GSmartMix