Re: slab menu

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 19:01 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
> [...]
>
> Everyone seems to have the impression this was just thrown together with
> no user testing, which is definitely not true.  See test data on
> betterdesktop.org
>
> http://www.betterdesktop.org/wiki/index.php?title=Data
> Task: Find the file MITBlueprints.PDF
> Task: Find the folder "Building Sites"
> Task: Determine what was the last image you edited
> Task: Find out if your computer is online
> Task: Find a copy of "The Frog Prince"
> ... more
>
> The analysis reports are being polished and finalized for release.
>
> If Sun has some metrics or test data on hierarchical menus, it would be
> great to look through.

I have just spent some time watching videos related to the menu and,
honestly, they do not tell me anything. Without seeing actual analysis
reports, they are really opaque to the untrained eye, I guess.

Hopefully we'll be able to read through the rationale sometime soon
(before UI freeze?)

I did read through the analysis reports available at
<http://www.betterdesktop.org/blog/?page_id=5> and things there go from
the very sensible to:

                �Issues encountered:
                        [...]
                        3. Users wanted the click behavior of the clock applet to
                        be similar to Windows.
                Recommendations:
                        [...]
                        3. Make the clock applet behavior be more similar to that
                        of the Windows taskbar clock.�

(from <http://www.betterdesktop.org/blog/?page_id=5>) which really
strikes me as debatable.

Btw, does the BetterDesktop project have a  mailing lists? There seems
no contact email address, no way to create a wiki account, no comments
in any of the blog posts. Is this a purely Novell thing?

Cheers,

-- m

--
Mariano Su�z-Alvarez