Re: slab menu

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 19:01 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:

> Everyone seems to have the impression this was just thrown together with
> no user testing, which is definitely not true.  See test data on
> betterdesktop.org
>
> http://www.betterdesktop.org/wiki/index.php?title=Data
> Task: Find the file MITBlueprints.PDF
> Task: Find the folder "Building Sites"
> Task: Determine what was the last image you edited
> Task: Find out if your computer is online
> Task: Find a copy of "The Frog Prince"
> ... more
>
> The analysis reports are being polished and finalized for release.

I certainly look forward to those... the videos I've looked at (and I
haven't been through them all, admittedly) only seem to show people
using the new interface, but that's not really useful without knowing
how much better or worse people did with the existing UI, or any
alternative design prototypes.  Hopefully the reports will be going into
that sort of detail and we can end this debate once and for all :)

> If Sun has some metrics or test data on hierarchical menus, it would be
> great to look through.

I doubt we've done anything recently, as menus are decades-old
technology now, but I'll see if I can dig anything up...

Cheeri,
Calum.