Re: slab menu

Usability testing should follow a number of steps.

1) Evaluate existing UI flow by assigning tasks to users to complete
and note the degree of difficulty. << Before you change the UI
2) Review the results of the initial test and if you have more
scenarios you would like to test go back to step 1.
3) Otherwise, come up with a proposed solution that you can then
complete a new sequence of usability testing.

I do this for major feature changes in software quite frequently.  It
is not clear, but was the change to 'slab' the result of some actual
data from usability testing that pointed to a need for a slab?  Or is
that usability testing after the fact?

Sean

On 2/6/07, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 17:07 +0000, Alex Jones wrote:
> > By contrast, the tests on betterdesktop.org generally test for
> > feature discoverability.  You take people with *varying degrees
> > of experience* and ask them to complete some given task.  They're
> > asked to complete this task once, and only once.  So you're only
> > testing how well they can figure things out the first time.
>
> (emphasis mine)
>
> Does this include people with NO computer experience whatsoever? Or just
> people who are used to Microsoft Windows?

The videos on betterdesktop.org do show how each user was rated for
"experience" on a scale of 1-10, although I don't know off-hand if
that's computer experience, Windows experience or "free desktop"
experience.

Cheeri,
Calum.