Re: Proposed module: tracker

Steve Frécinaux wrote:
Jamie McCracken wrote:

in any event tracker can be configured to not index at all or only index metadata and/or contents. It can also be used a stand alone metadata DB so I think tracker should be flexible enough for most cases where you only want a subset of its features.

In that case, could it be used as a metadata storage for application data concerning files ? Such applications are nautilus or gedit or evince...

of course although tracker would have to be accepted in desktop or as a blessed dependency if we are to avoid having lots of conditional compilation to implement it.

I will get a patch for gedit this week as a proof of concept that (condtionally) uses tracker metadata DB.

Also, didn't rhythmbox have a project to use tracker as its music database ? What's the status of it ?

Doc wrote a plug-in to fetch all music from tracker.

Work has not started on using it as the main database yet as I am concentrating on getting other services indexed and on building an external third party service support as I have been sent patches for indexing Tomboy, LifeRea and others that I want handled outside of tracker (to avoid bloating up the tracker daemon).

Once the external service stuff is done people can implement their own extractors in any language without changing tracker and free up my time to spend on other matters (like the music DB)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/