Re: strawman (Was Re: build systems)

> However, the most important point for this discussion is that this
> approach makes it hard to provide a high-level UI a'la Eclipse or Visual
> Studio which is what many many people are used to. One way to do this is
> to use a declarative programming language (e.g. XML) to express the
> build process.

I agree with you concerning this, and if you took time to check, WAF
already have an xml representation using wscript_xml files iirc.

The problem with declarative approaches is that you cannot easily
integrate configure checks, WAF solves this by allowing python
snippets to be included for the configure check.

I think we should really investigate WAF, and how to make use of the
XML representation to integrate with let's say Eclipse ?

--
Ali