Re: Evolution Plugins (Was Re: Rise of the Plugins)

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 21:20 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Alexander Larsson">
>
> > This is kinda a backward question. The reason you want to split it out is
> > of course not because you want to use the mailer without the addressbook,
> > it is because you want to use the address book without the mailer.
>
> ... and you can provide a deliciously optimised user experience for both use
> cases. It's worth looking at the user experience of the OS X communications
> tools, and possibly even the Windows Vista ones (although they're definitely
> uglier) to see why this is such a good way to go. It would be *FANTASTIC* to
> see Evolution become a suite of wonderful, focused applications instead of
> the Outlook clone it is today (and, sure, designed to be).

The components of Evolution are loosely ties to the Evolution shell, so
that you can use any component without other components loaded at all.

To answer Alexander, if you have at least one account configured, you
can directly launch Evolution Addressbook without ever having anything
to do with Mail component. If you launch "Evolution Addressbook" from
your gnome main menu, it should not ask your IMAP password. If it does,
it is a bug, please file that.

The reason for bringing up the account setup wizard when no account is
configured is because it was expected that configuring an account will
be the first thing a user will want to do. I accept that the bringing-up
of account-setup wizard at startup, when no account is configured, needs
to go away, with a "Forget It. I want to use Evolution" button, in the
wizard-beginning. It is a needless restriction.

--
Sankar P
Harver's Law: A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts