Re: Web links integration in applications: bugs, translations, help...

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007, Andre Klapper wrote:
> perhaps a better approach: educate the user by improving the error
> strings in the software. there's always room for improvement:
> http://aloriel.no-ip.org/uploads/2007/08/error_de_evolution.jpg .
> i love firefox because of explanations that even my parents would
> understand, if they'd touch computers.
> but currently, 30% of non-crasher evolution reports are already "can't
> send mail. please help" reports, because of the "Submit Bug Report" menu
> item. i have the feeling it will become more. ;-)

 Hehe, I heard from our Firefox maintainer that he receives all kind of
 non-bug reports thanks to the "Help > Report a problem" menu entry in
 Ubuntu; "My wife is gone", "My cat is sick" etc. :)

 I guess the problem of receiving "can't send mail" bug reports might be
 helped a little by having two different entries in Help; Ubuntu
 currently has "Report a Problem" (it's "report a bug" in French
 though), and "Get help online" (this points to the community support
 portal).

 Also, distributors/vendors might have missed the occasion to change the
 URLs in evolution, but it might be easier to change them once in a
 central place for all the packages?

--
Loïc Minier