Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 00:13 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> Hi
>
> Talking to Daniel "Cheese" Siegel we asked ourselves:
> Why do all GNOME projects have a ChangeLog file?
> Isn't it redundant when you just save a commit message.

Because SVN sucks...  I'm on a plane, I find a regression in Gtk+ that I
believe is introduced recently.  How do I find out?

Of course you can autogenerate ChangeLog from CVS/SVN logs, and a few
projects do that, but it's just easier to use GNOME ChangeLog-generator
scripts and copy/paste as commit message.  Attaching the script I use.

Of course no project using git maintains ChangeLog.  One reason I gave
up using git-svn is that the script doesn't fully understand how to
generate ChangeLog from a git repo.  I tried to hack it in but it's far
from done.  If anyone wants to finish that...

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759