Re: Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 21:31 +0200, Ali Sabil wrote:
> I am wondering why discussion is continuing in the "Git vs SVN (was:
> Can we improve things?)" thread, why the discussion is not happening
> here instead ?!
>
> I don't want to offend anyone (so take it lightly), but I am afraid
> that many of us are subject to a "Confirmation bias" ... Can't we just
> continue the discussion in this thread comparing svn to DRCS in
> general before deciding on which DRCS would be the most appropriate to
> use within the GNOME project ?

Because you can't talk about some abstract concept.  I can't imagine
anyone having any remotely legitimate reason to discuss that DSCM
systems are not good for GNOME.  This is simply a corollary of the fact
that DSCMs provide all functionality that the SCSMs do.  So,
theoretically, you don't lose anything, and gain some.

In practice however, git is too hard and confusing to learn.  *That* is
a reason against this specific DSCM system.

> I am also afraid that we might be just becoming nothing more but "geek
> fashion" addicts trying to follow the latest RCS tendency without
> really building solid and constructive arguments !

I was going to be offended, but you warned :).  Now that most probably
means that you don't hack on the more crowded projects that much...
Many Gtk+ developers for example could not have been as productive as
they are right now if it wasn't for git-svn.  And that's only a
half-arsed solution.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/