Re: Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

Le mardi 11 septembre 2007 à 22:37 +0200, Soeren Sandmann a écrit :
> This is true. There are issues with git, most importantly that it was
> written by someone for whom usability is not, um, a core competence,
> but is has a couple of killer features over CVS/SVN:
>
> * The abilty to commit offline

You can already do it with svk or git-svn.

> * Bisect, as Behdad says

This is definitely a killer feature, but there is no design limitation
preventing implementation of such a feature in subversion. A working
svn-bisect script would definitely be a worthwhile contribution.

> There are also a couple of non-killer improvements:
>
> * Performance: git is consistently fast; svn is slow.

It should be noted this is only the case for git, not for other DSCMs.
Furthermore, svk also noticeably improves performance on svn
repositories.

As several people already stated, most of git's improvements are already
available to those who love git thanks to git-svn. It strikes me that we
would actually lose svn's killer feature (simplicity) if the whole
repository is migrated to git.

: :' :           josselin mouette ens-lyon org
`. `'                        joss debian org