Re: Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:10:11 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le mardi 11 septembre 2007 �2:37 +0200, Soeren Sandmann a �it :
>> This is true. There are issues with git, most importantly that it was
>> written by someone for whom usability is not, um, a core competence,
>> but is has a couple of killer features over CVS/SVN:
>>
>> * The abilty to commit offline
>
> You can already do it with svk or git-svn.

svk is crap though. ;)

And presumably doing a full checkout of a package's history from a
subversion server is far more resource-intensive on the server side than
doing the same thing with git. For example, I maintain a git-svn checkout
of the Django web framework. Checking out all ~6100 revisions takes about
five hours, whereas cloning the git mirror of the project from repo.or.cz
takes just 27 seconds.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078