Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 18:44 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/15/07, Jaap Haitsma <jaap haitsma org> wrote:
> > Talking to Daniel "Cheese" Siegel we asked ourselves:
> > Why do all GNOME projects have a ChangeLog file?
> > Isn't it redundant when you just save a commit message.

For some modules, like gnome-applets or gnome-games, with lots of small
- loosely related - programs inside, the ChangeLog has a finer
granularity than the commit message. The ChangeLog provides a coherent
story for the sub-module - something the commit messages don't. In some
ways its a sign the repository is poorly arranged, but thats what we've
got.

 - Callum