Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

Hey,

Callum McKenzie wrote:
> For some modules, like gnome-applets or gnome-games, with lots of small
> - loosely related - programs inside, the ChangeLog has a finer
> granularity than the commit message. The ChangeLog provides a coherent
> story for the sub-module - something the commit messages don't. In some
> ways its a sign the repository is poorly arranged, but thats what we've
> got.

For some perspective, the OpenSolaris guys use very simple commit messages, but
*all* commits contain a bug id which links to all the information you need. Very
similar in many ways to a good detailed ChangeLog, but I'm very much of the
either/or group - having nothing seems silly to me.

Glynn