Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

Hi

On 9/17/07, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster sun com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Callum McKenzie wrote:
> > For some modules, like gnome-applets or gnome-games, with lots of small
> > - loosely related - programs inside, the ChangeLog has a finer
> > granularity than the commit message. The ChangeLog provides a coherent
> > story for the sub-module - something the commit messages don't. In some
> > ways its a sign the repository is poorly arranged, but thats what we've
> > got.
>
> For some perspective, the OpenSolaris guys use very simple commit messages, but
> *all* commits contain a bug id which links to all the information you need. Very
> similar in many ways to a good detailed ChangeLog, but I'm very much of the
> either/or group - having nothing seems silly to me.

We use Jira and have the bug id's in our commits so they can be easily
viewed in Jira.   Jira allows us the ability to generate our
changelogs with a close tie-in to features/bugs/tasks with a direct
link to the changesets in the version control.  That presumes you
create Jira issues for any changes.  It is quite nice to be able to
view the software product road map in Jira and directly link back to
the version control with details on all the files changed.

Sean