Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On 9/19/07, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 00:02 +0200, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
> >
> > There is no rational reason why GNOME would need both ChangeLog and
> > svn log.
>
> There *is* a clear reason: offline and tarball use.   What you really
> mean is that there is no rational reason why GNOME can't use
> auto-generated ChangeLog.

Yes.

> One reason is: for previous commits.  Moving
> to a generated ChangeLog means losing a certain piece of history because
> many modules have crap log in their history...

Yes. Problem is solved by moving the old ChangeLog. svn mv ChangeLog
ChangeLog-pre-X-Y, isn't it? Let me restate: There is no rational
reason why GNOME projects would need to *update* a ChangeLog file at
each and every commit to a project.

--
mvh Björn