Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 01:24 +0200, BJ�Lindqvist wrote:

> > One reason is: for previous commits.  Moving
> > to a generated ChangeLog means losing a certain piece of history
> because
> > many modules have crap log in their history...
>
> Yes. Problem is solved by moving the old ChangeLog. svn mv ChangeLog
> ChangeLog-pre-X-Y, isn't it? Let me restate: There is no rational
> reason why GNOME projects would need to *update* a ChangeLog file at
> each and every commit to a project.

Right.  I don't mind it though because Perl scripts already do the hard
part for me.  Others use Emacs macros, etc.

If depending on log message, you just need separate set of scripts.
Nothing impossible about it.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/