Re: Mercurial - Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

On 9/23/07, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
> On 9/23/07, Sean Kelley <svk sweng gmail com> wrote:
> > I think GIT is not a very user friendly SCM for those coming from
> > other version control systems.  It is far too rough around the edges.
> > Will it get better?  I am sure over time it will.  But I certainly
> > wouldn't impose it on the multitude of Gnome developers who have
> > varying degress of SCM experience from the git go. :-)
>

> I'm a little skeptical that your experience will apply to anyone else
> (except perhaps Nokia and Motorola) based on what I know...

Well, if you have software projects that you create, regardless of
whether they are apps or libraries, then that is what I am speaking
to.  I need an application that do a certain function for a product
and that leads to a whole slew of completely new software.  This is
the where most of the SCM work that deals on a day to day basis with a
version control system.

If you want to learn more about how companies build embedded software
for projects based on the multitude of elements that make up a root
filesystem, then you might read up on Scratchbox, OpenEmbedded, or
Poky.

I am speaking to the former, not the latter which falls under the
scope of what I define as more package management to whatever
packaging system you are using.  It involves very little work with
version control.

Sean