Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

On 9/24/07, Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 00:10 -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> > * It appears to be a fork of Gossip and intended to replace Gossip.
> > The Gossip author has stated that Gossip is not dead. Gossip has
> > telepathy support...
> >  * It appears to want to replace the default IM client installed in
> > distros (Pidgin).
>
> These are not real concerns. Nor pidgin or gossip are part of the GNOME
> Desktop. I'd be worried if gossip were proposed for inclusion in GNOME,
> though, but that's not the case.
>
> And I'm not even stating these facts hold... which is a different
> matter, but irrelevant for the discussion ongoing.

I agree with Claudio; let's drop these from further discussion.

> > * It appears to want to replace Ekiga. There appears to be no buy-in
> > from Ekiga developers.

There's no IM in GNOME. If there's an effort to create a framework
that "appears to want to replace" current technologies I think that's
a good thing. In order words: integration.

I'm not saying that Ekiga should be dropped. I'm saying that for the
time being it's better to have IM support _in_ GNOME than nothing at
all.

I propose to drop Ekiga from further discussion too.

> > * It doesn't implement all of the features it lists as its benefits.
> > (maybe could be fixed by 2.22 release)
>
> These could be interesting issues, *if* they are backed up. If you are
> really against empathy inclusion in 2.22, I'd suggest you to focus in
> these particular points.

* Adds IM support to GNOME

That's something that it's currently doing and I think that's a huge benefit.

So what is it really missing for 2.22. You mentioned documentation and
I think that's something that can be fixed for 2.22, but we would have
to ask the Telepathy guys too.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras