Re: New clock applet for 2.22

Le mardi 25 septembre 2007, à 09:20 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> On 9/25/07, Garrett LeSage <garrett novell com> wrote:
>
> > The screenshot of the calendar does not show the week number (it's useless
> > clutter, relaly).  I think the week number is there in the released versoin
> > due to the way the GtkCalendar widget works.
>
> Those can (and should be) be turned off. The calendar should maybe be
> made a bit more useful in general, maybe adding some decorations to
> show which days
> have appointments, deadlines or birthdays, Currently, it is just a
> field of numbers that takes up quite a bit of room.

The day I removed the week numbers by default, I got a lot of people
complaining about it. Distros started patching the default setting to
have it back...

> > The time zone selector is currently pretty bad.  It needs a lot of
> > improvement.  We did not have time to implement a brand-new, more friendly
> > UI.  This really should be available to other software that needs to deal
> > with time zones too, such as Evolution, and any other time-related software
> > (such as system settings of some sort).
> > Geo-location is also not great.  Thankfully, it does provide the location
> > for the city list, so it could be worse (such as not providing a latitude
> > and longitude), but it would be nice to be able to simply click on a map to
> > reposition the marker, or do some placename lookup.
>
> Agreed. For the weather feature to be really useful, the user must be
> able to display locations other than the principal timezone locations,
> too. (I live in the New York time zone, but I want to see Boston
> weather !)
>
> We have thought about stealing the location picker from the weather
> applet,  since it is much nicer than the flat list of timezones.
>
> Of course, being able to pick on a map would be nice
> (system-config-date in Fedora shows a suboptimal example...)

A mix of what the current applet (not intlclock) has and something more
organized like gweather would be interesting. I had a patch that started
organizing the timezones by continents and countries, when available.

One issue, though, is that the list of timezones comes with the system,
and it doesn't contain all locations in the world with their timezone...

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.