Re: Why do GNOMEdevelopers almost exclusively use git mirrors and for example not bzr mirrors

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Jaap A. Haitsma <jaap haitsma org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I was just wondering why many GNOME developers are using git mirror
>  and for example not a bzr mirror? If I for example read
>  http://live.gnome.org/DistributedSCM I have the feeling that bzr would
>  also be a very good fit. However I haven't seen any gnome.org project
>  in a bzr mirror while of many projects there exists git mirrors.

+1

We're using bazaar at work, where we have a continuous integration system
built around it. You basically publish a set of branches (one branch per module,
i.e. glib) and some build machines will temporarily merge in the changes, check
whether it builds, run all the unit-tests, and finally a black box
test. If all went
well the changes get merged into mainline.
We've been using bazaar for this for about 6 months so far, and it's
been working
like a charm. The things I really like about bzr is that it's very
portable, it's pluggable,
has a nice API and doesn't exclude developers stuck on Windows.

There's two things that would need to be resolved before we'd be able
to use git:
1) A native Windows frontend that doesn't require cygwin.
2) Pluggable API, being able to extend/influence existing commands and
functionality.

Cheers,
Ole André