Re: Call for hackfest ideas

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 15:20 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:

> Honestly, I think face time would be most valuable for new people,
> and these are the people we'd be least likely to get to
> come.  (Plus, there's the issue of whether we'd want to
> spend so much money on people without a track record.)

Right.  Most of us don't *need* face time to get the thing done.  Except
that, well, there are things that don't get done.

> Now, documentation hacking is another story.  A hackfest
> could probably do wonders for Mallard.  There are yet a
> lot of actual design decisions to be made, and a lot of
> thought that has to go into the full implementation.
>
> I can think of quite a few people I'd like to have at
> such an event.  Me and Don, of course.  And Brent if
> he ever reappears.  Our Foie Gras folks: Szilveszter,
> Buddhika, and Denis.  And Danilo to help us look at
> localization stuff.  And Liam Quin, because you can
> never go wrong when you have Ankh.

That may work, but what I had in mind was getting you and Don in the
same place for the weekend, so you can sit down, take a high level look
at all the documentation we have, figure out what's deprecated, what
need update, what needs rewrite, how accessible/discoverable they are,
how much does the doc section on our website sucks, etc, just fix many
of them, and report the rest to the community to go fix 'em.  How's
that?  We prolly can be bribed into flying you both into a really nice
place, if that motivates you a bit more.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759