Re: Pleasantness [was: Re: Sound effects]

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> Iain * wrote:
>>> But I see that no-one else cares
>>
>> Or, you are not effectively communicating what you mean.
> Actually, I understand Iain getting annoyed here. He makes a proposal
> which has its merits, and likely has counter-points that have merit.

Actually as it was pointed out his proposal is perfectly achievable as
a theme with oen sound and 3-4 symlinks for the main notification
categories (and no sounds for the rest of them).

> Let me summarise what's happening here:
>
> Iain wonders why there are 125 user-configurable system sounds in GNOME.
> He sees that most of the sounds are application-specific, not
> system-general, and suggests doing away with most of them, and letting
> applications handle application-specific sounds, and having the system
> configuration only be used for system-level sounds.
[...]
> This is an admirable goal, and doesn't necessarily go counter to Iain's
> goal, which is to symplify configuration of system sounds and make them
> really useful to people who don't have the time to decide which of the
> 125 available sounds they want turned on and which they want turned off.

There are only 16 options in the GNOME sound preferences capplet. They
handle all these 125 sounds.

Futhermore it's really much easier to open one capplet and be able to
mute half of the system sounds in just one click when preparing to
give a presentation (before someone proposes pressing "mute" please
think about the concept of watching videos without sound).

--
Patryk Zawadzki