Re: HIG says "Page Setup" not "Page Setup..."

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 10:50 +0000, Iain * wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 2:32 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
> > All of these do show dialogs. None of
> > these *require* any input before *you* (the user) decide that "their
> > action is complete"
>
> No dialogs *require* input. But if the wording is indicative of there
> being the possibility of input being required then it needs ...
> So, "Setup Bluetooth..." because the action is "Set up the Bluetooth".

Funny that you correctly identify the action as "Set up",
but present "Setup" to the user.  Setup is a noun.  Period.
So you can say "Set up Bluetooth" or "Bluetooth Setup", but
"Setup Bluetooth" doesn't make sense.

> Yes, you could use it to see the Bluetooth settings but thats not what
> the menu item says.

In the case of "Set up Bluetooth", you're right.  The menu
item does not say it's for viewing the Bluetooth settings.
But if that menu item were "Bluetooth Setup", then the menu
could be read as "view my Bluetooth settings" just as easily
as it could be read "edit my Bluetooth settings".

And, of course, the thing that started this whole thread
as "Page Setup", not "Set up Page".

> > In short words: I don't agree.
>
> Thats fine, but you're wrong.

I don't believe this is a black-and-white issue.  There
is a large range of types of dialogs a user might see
upon clicking on a menu item.  The ellipsis was not
handed down to us by an omniscient deity.  It is up
to use to decide on a consistent application of it
that is most beneficial to our users.

--
Shaun